Rev. Phil Landers is the most & best reviewed of all Chicago area wedding officiants.


Marriage License Info

This page has two sections :

Marriage license info (what you need to get married)


The key: you must get your marriage license from the county you will be married in, regardless of where you live. So, click below on the county in which the marriage will take place (not the one you live in.)

By Illinois state law, you can get your marriage license

  • no sooner than 60 days before your wedding
  • but no later than the day before your wedding.

You need to apply together, in person, and bring the proper identification and money (sometimes cash) with you. If you are divorced, you need to know the date or may need to bring a copy of the divorce decree. Click on the county’s web site, below, that you are getting married in for details.

Bring the marriage license to the rehearsal (if you have one) or the wedding and give to Rev. Phil as soon as he arrives. Make it the best man’s job.

It is a crime — a misdemeanor — if Rev. Phil does not mail it in. It is important to you, so he will mail it in.

BTW, the marriage license is not what makes you legally married. It is not valid until signed by a proper official — like Rev. Phil — and returned to the county clerk.

The marriage license is a legal document so be careful with it.

Note that the information below is subject to change. Look over the web site provided for each county carefully for current information.Please let Rev. Phil know if something is no longer correct on this page.

Cook County (Chicago & many suburbs)
6 locations:
Downtown Chicago Daley Center, 50 W. Washington St., Chicago, IL 60602 (312) 603-7790
N. suburbs — Skokie 5600 W. Old Orchard Road, Room 149, Skokie, IL 60077 (847) 470-7233
NW suburbs — Rolling Meadows 2121 Euclid Ave., Room 238, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008 (847) 818-2850
W. suburbs — Maywood 1311 Maybrook Square, Room 109, Maywood, IL 60153 (708) 865-6010
S. suburbs — Markham 16501 S. Kedzie, Room 238, Markham, IL 60426 (708) 210-4150
SW suburbs — Bridgeview 10220 S. 76th Ave., Room 238, Bridgeview, IL 60455 (708) 974-6150

DuPage County

One location — DuPage County Clerk’s Office, 421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187

Lake County (IL)

One location — County Clerk’s Office of Lake County, 18 N. County St., Room 101, Waukegan, IL 60085

Will County

3 locations:
Joliet 302 N. Chicago St., Joliet, IL 60432
Bolingbrook 241 Canterbury Lane, Bolingbrook, IL 60440 
Crete 1367 Wood St., Crete, IL 60417

Kane County

One location —Kane County Government Center, 719 S. Batavia Avenue (Rt. 31), Geneva, 60134.

McHenry County

One location — McHenry County Administration Bldg, 667 Ware Rd., Room 107, Woodstock, IL 60098

Marriage certificate/record info (what you need to prove that you are married for insurance or drivers license)


How to prove that you are married — so you can add a spouse on to your insurance, for a name change, for voter registration? Get a marriage certificate, sometimes called a marriage record. You get it from the county in which you got married.

It will not automatically come to you — you must fill out another form and make another payment (it’s government). I do not get a copy so I can not send you one either.

Hint: order copies of your marriage certificate/record at the same time as you apply for your marriage license. Only Cook County makes you wait until after you are married.

It’s typically about $14 for first one and $4 for every one ordered at the same time. Order a bunch of copies.

You can order it later (i.e. if you did not order at the time you applied for your marriage license). You can apply for it by mail. Unlike your marriage license, you do not need to appear in person.

You will receive a certified copy — with the county’s seal embossed/imprinted in the paper. That proves it is legitimate. (Copying this document on a copier will not be recognized for the seal will be missing.)

 It typically takes 4-6 weeks after your wedding to receive.

When you go to the drivers license facility to get an updated drivers license, remember to update your voter registration (or register to vote if you have not done so.) Failure to do so will mean you can not vote in the next election.

Click on the county you got married in for marriage certificate/record info:

Cook County
DuPage County
Lake County (IL)
Will County
Kane County
McHenry County

Experience the Power
of a Love Story

Video courtesy of Milestone Videos

View more love story videos!


Meet Rev. Phil for a Complimentary One Hour Consultation!
(a $100 Value)

Rev. Phil will e-mail you several options of when he can meet you — evenings and weekends.

"I spent an hour and a half trying to find a bad review of Rev. Phil online and couldn't find one," said a bride named Tiger.

More WeddingWire Reviews
Than Any Other
Chicago Wedding Officiant!

Read all of our Wedding Ministers Reviews at Weddings, Wedding Cakes,  Wedding Planning, Wedding Checklists, Free Wedding Websites, Wedding Dresses, Wedding Ideas & more

Explore More

  Invest — find out the 4 benefits of investing in your ceremony, investing in Rev. Phil

Raves — what is Rev. Phil really like? See what 200+ brides say about him.

Compare — discover the all the advantages of choosing Rev. Phil vs. the average Chicago officiant

© 2014 “I Do” Weddings, Ltd. with Rev. Phil Landers
Rev. Phil Landers is the Chicago wedding officiant with the most & best reviews.
He marries couples in Chicago and the suburbs.
1600 W Lake St, Ste 103B #128, Addison, IL 60101
Office: 630-628-3500 • Cell: 630-664-3500 •
All rights reserved.  •  Contact Us 
Your privacy is important. Rev. Phil will not give or sell your information to any other company.